Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Salted Caramel and Chocolate Ganache
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ¼ cup strong coffee
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Caramel: Best Boy & Co. – Bourbon Barrel Caramel Sauce Chocolate Ganache:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together cocoa powder, cake flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside. Combine the coffee, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until the mixture is smooth. Add egg and mix to incorporate. Stir in ½ of the cocoa mixture, followed by the coffee mixture and the last ½ of the cocoa mixture.
- Evenly divide the batter in the cupcake pan. Each well should be about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack until ready to frost.
- Warm Best Boy Caramel slightly in microwave. Stir.
- Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Bring cream to a gentle simmer in a small pan. Immediately pour warm cream over chocolate. Let sit for 10 minutes then stir in butter and whisk until ganache is smooth. Ganache should firm up enough for frosting before piping.
- Use a paring knife to cut a cone out of the center of the cupcake and set aside. Fill hole with about 1 tablespoon of caramel sauce. Replace cake cone and frost with ganache. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.